Monday, December 27, 2004

Yesterday, my family paid respect to past relatives at the cemetery. It was a really nice, sunny day fortunately since we'd be outside the whole time. It always still spooks me out a bit when I go to the cemetery here in HK. For those of you who've visited Bruce Lee's grave in Seattle, you will have noticed his picture on his tombstone--that's pretty normal for Chinese tombstones. So--when visiting the cemetery in HK, where there are literally thousands and thousands of tombstones, you'll walk by pictures of each dead person. Creepy. We remember where our relatives' graves are by the markers of various people's pictures. Even the section of cremated people, there are pictures all along the wall.



Hung out with Ben last night--yay! He's doing well--busy applying for B-school right now...if all stars align, he'll be back in the States next fall. He took me out to dinner at Knutsford Terrace at this Turkish restaurant called Merhaba, which was quite delicious although the service was somewhat slow and forgetful. We had some yummy bites..like spinach, cheese & mint "cigars" with mint yoghurt to dip...and lamb pizza. The best part is you can rent a hookah for $50HK (about $7US) -- we got apple flavor and it was awesome. Sitting outside in the cool night breeze of Hong Kong, smoking shisha was the best.



After dinner, Ben took me to this Russian style restaurant and bar called The Balalaika. He talked highly of this Vodka ice bar, a popular tourist destination. I had images of a really large bar made completely of ice---instead, upon arrival, I saw that it was instead a small freezer with a window that looks out at the restaurant. It was still fun. The restaurant lets guests borrow huge fake fur coats & hats Russian style to step into this freezer, which is lined with all sorts of different types of vodkas. Man, it was absolutely freezing inside--we ordered a shot of vodka, chatted with a couple from Manchester that had just moved here and were on our way. A short, fun worthwhile thing to do if you're in the area.



This recent 8.9 earthquake is crazy. I wonder how Jigna and Matt are doing in Mauritius--there are definitely news reports of Mauritius getting hit by tidal waves. Man, and they're supposed to have their big beach-side wedding celebration today. I hope they are okay. I can't believe it stretched out that far west---I thought it would stop at India. I feel like Hong Kong is much closer to the epicenter (Indonesia) and we didn't feel anything...but I guess the land mass of Indonesia and Malaysia prevented it from really affecting the waters surrounding China or HK. It was perfectly sunny and warm yesterday. My friend, Rod, was supposed to head to Phuket (per my parents) for New Year's, arriving sometime this week from what I hear. It doesn't loook like there's much left after the earthquake. Wonder if he's left yet...and if not, if he's still going.

No comments:

Post a Comment