Friday, December 24, 2004

Just finished dinner and walked through the madness that is Christmas Eve in Hong Kong. Think Times Square New Year's Eve--that's what Nathan Road looks like in Hong Kong Christmas Eve. The streets are closed off to pedestrian traffic only and flooded with more people than you can imagine. People walk about with silly santa hats donned with blinking lights and shouting Merry Christmas to everyone. I even walked by a big Hare Krishna mini-parade. It's funny how different it is from this time of year in the U.S., where everyone tends to be inside with their families, snuggled by the fireplace or opening up presents. Here, it's time to go out and party with your friends. I just wandered around shopping with my mother for a bit (retail shops will stay open until 11 or 12 on Xmas Eve as well---there's no closing early whatsoever here)...and now I'm back at the hotel again.



It's amazing how quickly I've adjusted to time here. I even got a decent full 8 hours of sleep last night, uninterrupted. Typically, I adjust to time coming out to Hong Kong..but have a hell of a time adjusting once I'm back in the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment