Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving at the Sousas



By Thursday, my food poisoning symptoms were lightening up--I still felt pretty weak but I took a good shower, snagged a lunch nap, donned on some nice clothes and makeup (somehow dressing up always makes me feel better) and got the spirit to help Matt complete making our first ever home-made Thanksgiving dinner together in time for Jigna and Matt to arrive and enjoy it with us. The result was something we were proud of! We had taken out our fine china, set out the nice candlesticks on the table and laid out one moist turkey in addition to some delicious sides dishes. For Jigna, I experimented and made a Truffled Butternut Squash and Wild Mushroom Risotto---I heard it was good as it was a bit too complex for my stomach at the time. I also made classic mashed potatoes and a Green Beans with Sliced Shallots and Almonds dish. Matt made his favorite Portuguese Stuffing (with spicy chorizo) and totally owned the turkey. On a whim, we got inspired watching some episode of the Regis & Kelley show and ended up brining our turkey overnight with a concoction of apple juice, bourbon, brown sugar, peppercorn and water. We then put a nice rub of salt, pepper, paprika, sage, thyme, onion powder, olive oil...stuck it in the oven for about 3 hours and then we were done! Dinner went well and we were satisfied. Yay Turkey Day!

To add to the day, we all went over to the Shahani's for dessert to congratulate Kabir and Noreen on their engagement---woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment