Saturday, November 27, 2004

I just had probably the most amazing dinner I've ever had in Lawrence, Kansas (isn't that a bold statement?). Tonight, my parents drove all the way out to 10th & Delaware---our town was clever enough to name the streets by state names in order of when they joined the Union from East to West. So when I say "all the way out on Delaware St.", that means pretty far into East Lawrence. I have no clue where California St. or Washington St. are. Anyway, we walked into this gorgeous private home where Robert Krause Catering & Dining serve their meals. The owners, Robert & Molly, open up their home to guests for an all-out prix fixe meal. Guests literally sit in their living room as they prepare the food in the restaurant-quality kitchen. Apparently, it's currently a word-of-mouth sort of marketing and you have to call ahead to make reservations for the only 30-40 person capacity evenings (and to HAVE to make a reservation in Lawrence is saying something). We have 6 courses in total--let me see if I can remember them (and I'm sure I'm bastardizing the description):

  • Sea Bass from New Zealand with some blend of lobster or crab and something

  • Duck Confit and Breast of Duck served on top of a carrot and curry sauce

  • Tenderloin of Beef alongside something whose name I can't remember with a whipped goat cheese, in addition to 3 delicious sauces

  • Roquefort cheese souffle with a ladle of pear-walnut cream sauce, served with 3 cheeses: St. Andres Triple Creme Brie, Cave Aged Gruyere and some sort of cheddar on top of a fruit compote

  • an Espresso dessert of some sort with biscotti

  • some chocolate dessert with all sorts of sauces to sample with

  • an assortment of small bites, including homemade chocolate covered marshmallow and candied pomegranate

    My descriptions of the food really don't give it any justice. I'm still in awe of the roquefort cheese souffle and am going to email Robert for the recipe (how nice--he's totally willing to give it to me to experiment with!). Anyway, this is by far one of the best meals I've ever had. If you ever swing through Lawrence, KS--this is a 'must-try' culinary experience.



    Time at home has been great and peaceful. Been working more than I had planned but that's okay--only bummed that I think my project might be sliding. Hung out last night with some old high school friends: Jed, Matt, Matt and all their current friends. They're all doing well and it was awesome hanging out with them. Will post pictures soon. Otherwise, have been indulging in shopping with the parents and spending lots of time with them. I leave tomorrow and am packing my stuff right now. Was hoping to meet up with my friend, Sara, whom I haven't seen in, oh, 3 years? I fear we may've missed each other. Oh well. My father wants to wake me up early tomorrow and take me to the Lawrence Country Club before we head to the airport---fancy fancy. It cracks me up how much my dad has turned into a golf nut.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment