Sunday, February 26, 2006

"The Good Body", sushi, and other things...

Tonight, Sri and I decided last minute to check out Eve Ensler's "The Good Body", playing at the Moore Theatre. I'd seen "The Vagina Monologues" a few years back and really enjoyed that play, so I was expecting to be just as entertained. While there were some amusing moments in "The Good Body", it wasn't as interesting to me as Ensler's previous work. My problem: there wasn't focus. I felt that with "The Vagina Monolgues", she picked one topic and went really deep with it, illiciting wonderful stories that all weaved around one central theme. With "The Good Body", she also could've taken one theme and went deep with it but I didn't feel the same here. Some stories had to do with physical things women went through to conform with societal beauty, others had to do emotional pose. She kept talking about her own stomach...and that just got tiring in the end. In the end, I just wanted her to go deeper and give me more. Now, the play was still entertaining and Ensler brings variety with her various characters by including women from Africa, India and Brazil; however, my expectations were high and this fell short of the brilliance of her previous composition.

On a good note, Sri and I got some quick food afterwards at a fairly new sushi restaurant that I'd been to twice before, Red Fin, in the new Hotel Max. Only 4 months old, the same owners of Wasabi Bistro bring the same excellent quality and taste of sushi to customers. The menu also offers more beyond sushi which makes the restaurant even more delicious. The last time I was here, I got a special: lobster pad thai---yum. Some things I'd recommend: the Togarashi-seared Dayboat Sea Scallops, the Uptown California Roll (they add shrimp tempura) and Coconut Shrimp. Either way, whatever you order, you can't go wrong. I have yet to try something here that has disappointed me. The service is humble & excellent and the plating pleasing to the eye. Because it's still fairly new, this restaurant is undiscovered and it's really easy to walk in on any weekend night and get a table. If you live in Seattle, check it out before it's difficult to make reservations here!

Watched the finale of Dancing with the Stars tonight---great job Drew Lachey! That was well deserved and he definitely carried himself well throughout this entire competition. Now, I was EXTREMELY surprised that Jerry Rice ended up with 2nd place, with Stacy Keibler being 3rd. Anyone who's been watching this show MUST KNOW that Stacy is a far better dancer than Jerry. Oh well. It came down to the popularity contest with the viewer vote and Jerry had enough fans to push him beyond Stacy. My kudos to him for even making it this far. It was certainly entertainment--particularly with his freestyle afro-totin' 70's dance last week.

More of reality TV returns with this week with the season debuts of The Apprentice 5 and The Amazing Race 9 (oh good, they're back to couples). Oy vey...I'm gonna have to buy a 2nd TV tuner for my media center in order to keep up!

1 comment:

  1. Hi!

    I've got a second TV card for your media center if you want it... Cheap!

    -Matt

    ReplyDelete