Wednesday, December 25, 2002

I'm pooped and oh so tired. It's about 11:30pm here and I'm definitely ready for bed. While my parents and brother have already completely adjusted to the time since they traveled in Japan for 1.5 weeks before coming here, I just got here and am still feeling the jet lag. It usually hits me really hard just around dinner time, inconveniently.



Today, we made our usual visit to the cemetery to pay respect to the relatives---we do this every time we come back. I find the cemeteries here fascinating because they're huge and densely packed. What I find spooky is how it's common practice to stick a picture of the deceased on the tombstone (those of you in Seattle may notice this with Bruce Lee's grave--that's not just for kicks). It's kind of disturbing to be walking along and knowing how old someone was when they died, how they looked, etc etc.



I can't remember how long it's been since I've spent an actual Christmas in Hong Kong..but I really don't remember the madness of this holiday on the streets. I just got back to the hotel and there are plenty of shops still open--it's Christmas day! I'm so accustomed to everything being dead on this day in America..everyone staying at home with their loved ones. No--here, people go out, have fun, shop, party, eat late. Vendors are on every corner, trying to sell some sort of glow-in-the-dark sparkling contraption to wave in the air indicating one's love for Christmas. I honestly think that it's great that there's so much enthusiasm out on the streets for this holiday...I guess..I'm just tired and sick of thinking about Christmas (since I've been PM-ing the freakin' holiday for the amzn site for the past who-knows-how-many-months). I was looking forward to some calm. Paris isn't going to be that much settled down either.



I have to admit, I miss him. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment