Tuesday, December 24, 2002

Absolute madness. That's the only way that I can describe the streets of Hong Kong at this moment. Nathan Rd. has been closed off in Tsim Sha Tsui and people are spilling onto the streets donning their Santa hats, smiling, singing Christmas songs and enduring the usual holiday cheer. It's interesting how different it is from home---I would think that at this time, anyone that's out and about on the streets is completely stressed and only out in order to get a last minute gift. Instead of cozing up to a fireplace, sitting at home quietly watching some football game and sipping eggnog, people here pour out onto the streets with friends, celebrating Christmas as if it were New Year's eve. So insane...I felt like I was pushing myself through a crowd of post-concertgoers. What should've been a 5 minute walk from the Giordano store back to the hotel took more like 20 minutes.



The flight over was surprisingly not that bad. We even arrived an hour early. When I was in Vancouver, I had planned to meet up with Pierre who was also stopping in Vancouver on his way back to Montreal; unfortunately, we didn't account for the division between the international & domestic terminals...and ended up having to talk to each other on our cell phones through the glass wall of a random Japanese restaurant that stood between the 2 terminals. ha ha.



I've been doing nothing but eating good food since coming back. Shortly after landing, my grandmother whisked me off to eat at this incredibly good French restaurant, Gaddi's, in the classic Peninsula Hotel. And tonight, we had our usual grand Chinese dinner at Fook Lam Moon. I'm stuffed.



Hopefully, I can meet up with Andrew and Ben who are living here now. So few days that I'm here...

No comments:

Post a Comment