Tuesday, June 5, 2001

i swear i'm going to gain fifty pounds on this trip with all the delicious chinese food i've been eating. last night, we had dinner with my grandmother and all her banker friends at this amazing restaurant....it was course after course...don't know how i made it through. The meal consisted of: shark's fin soup, braised abalone, crab, fried rice, pig's skin, some sort of fish, duck's feet, vegetables, soup noodles and all sorts of dessert. and then today, my "ma-ma" (chinese for grandmother on the father's side) took us to the Luk Yu Tea House, which is this famous 100+ yr. old dim sum/tea house...wow, the dum sum there was incredible. Now, I'm in the Times Square Mall, wandering around until I meet up with my mother again.

The other night, my cousin took Aaron and I out to a karaoke bar...how amusing. It was actually quite cheap---just $55HK (a little over $5US) per person...for the entire night...oh, and my cousin has changed her English name from Mandy to Gigi (sounds more like her Chinese name now). She works in some fancy beauty salon in the hotel that we're staying at and has a 21yr old boyfriend. She's the only one in her family still in HK--the rest has immigrated over to L.A. within the past few months.

I've decided I'm not too wild about the new fashion in HK...it's like we've reverted to the 80's. What's really in are graffitti decorated shirts paired with jean skirts and big silver studded belts.
I'm hoping to visit Macau this time....and re-visit the Big Buddha since it's so neat. Much of what we do here is dictated by my grandmother...

No comments:

Post a Comment