Friday, July 21, 2006

VoIP?

Got my phone bill today - $56.47. One of them for a 7 minute phone call to Hong Kong that was about 26 cents a minute. I just checked out the rates on Vonage and it's 4 cents a minute to Hong Kong. Plus, they have a package that really suits--just a flat rate of $14.99/month which includes 500 minutes anywhere in the US, Canada or Puerto Rico. I talk less than 500 minutes easily on that phone. Tempted to switch---and I keep that number just cuz' I've had it for 7 years and it's, sadly, my junk phone (where I send all telemarketers and what not). Also, my mom still calls me on it. What are you experiences with Vonage?

2 comments:

  1. Hey. I haven't tried Vonage but there are several options I use when talking to India: (1) Skype has "SkypeOut" which is basically outgoing VOIP - their rates are quite good. (2) SkypeIn lets you receive calls on a computer but initiate them from a regular phone (you can get a local number in several countries around the world). So my parents have a US number that I can call which routes to their computer. (3) 9278.com has good calling cards to India but I'm not sure how they work for other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Vonage as my home phone and have the $14.99/mo plan. Works great as long as your internet connection is up. It comes with all sorts of services that would cost extra from the phone company, like voicemail, 3-way calling, caller ID, etc. You can retrieve your voicemail from the web which is useful when you're abroad. You can bring your Vonage router with you when traveling and make calls from your Vonage #, though I've never tried it.

    Verizon charges some $49 a month for landline service in NYC, so it was a no-brainer for me. As I mentioned, the only inconvenience is when my internet connection goes down, so goes my landline. But I can use my cell phone in those cases.

    ReplyDelete