Sunday, March 12, 2006

There goes the tree...

The storms that hit the Midwest this morning actually hit my hometown pretty hard---Douglas County has been declared a disaster by emergency management. Fortunately, my parents are on vacation so they weren't there this morning. I called them and it sounds like there's a lot of property damage across the city. At our house, there's a gigantic tree that was planted ~20 years ago---apparently, the winds rooted the tree out of the ground and it's currently laying on its side in our driveway! Good thing it didn't fall the other way and hit the house, or else there'd be a huge hole in my bedroom! (my room faces towards this tree) Electricity and phone lines are out across most of the city, including our house. Strangely, our guest house still has electricity, which ended up being a savior because all of our indoor tropical fish at the house were suffocating with the water pumps being down. Some family friends of ours were gracious enough to go over today and, with some crazy-ass long extension cords, plug the water pumps back in and save all the fish. I'm going home in 2 weeks and will be curious what damage there is across the city. I read the roof almost completely tore off of Danworth Chapel up on KU---so sad. I've attended weddings there before.

No comments:

Post a Comment