Monday, January 18, 2010

Pregnancy Adventures: Childbirth Education Class

Well, we just got back from Class #1 out of an 8-week series of classes that we are taking (we're also taking some other classes, such as infant car seats, conscious fathering, etc..) There were about 20 couples in tonight's 2 hour class, most expecting in April and mostly with girls! So far, with Day 1, I don't think I learned anything I hadn't already read about it in the many pregnancy books I have except for the following: each labor room at Swedish Hospital (where we will deliver) should have either a jacuzzi tub or shower...except for one (what the hell, what's up with that one?), the average labor for a 1st pregnancy is between 12-18 hours and that with an epidural, you can't stand up at all (I really have no idea what you can and cannot do if you get an epidural). It'll be nice to slowly meet the other couples who are going through the same things we are. Tomorrow night, I've got some "Baby your Body" class that's just for me -- I presume learning about exercise and stretching techniques to deal with the general achiness of pregnancy? We'll see.

Speaking of, the constant achiness is starting to hit me. My mid-lower back is always just sore and I constantly need massages from Matt. Thank goodness for the super awesome pregnancy pillow he got me for Christmas which really helps me with supporting my back and hips while I sleep. I've apparently started semi-waddling now. Grrr. What in the world is it that makes pregnancy women waddle? I'd like to know that.

Over the weekend, we went to BabiesRUs together for the first time to get started on our registry...and man, it was overwhelming. I've only been in that store twice before, to get gifts for other friends...but that was way before I knew ANYTHING about baby needs. We still don't know what we really need...but at least we've started something. Hoping to pick a crib in the next week or two, just in case it takes some time for it to get here. It's funny how the "lifetime convertible" crib is all the rage now --- these are cribs that convert from a baby crib to a toddler bed and then finally to an adult-size full bed. The majority of cribs we've looked at are like this...and it's rare to find one that's JUST a crib. Then next is figuring out how we want to decorate the nursery. I'm hoping not to go all crazy pink and moreso just throw splashes of pink here and there. We'll see. One thing that's been a lifesaver for me is this awesome book that a bunch of friends recommended, Baby Bargains. It walks through all the different types of products, reviews brands, talks about what's okay to just borrow or buy used, and what things are totally unnecessary. Totally recommend it to all first time parents.

Anyway, I'm excited as the invites for the baby shower have gone out now --- it's like a reminder to me that this baby is really about to come here! Plus, my mom is coming out for the shower so that'll be fun to have her here, albeit briefly.

2 comments:

  1. Aw bummer that I'll miss the shower but it's great that everything is going along so well! You have to post a pic of you soon-- I wanna see how big your bump is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll miss you at the shower Aileen!!!!

    ReplyDelete