Saturday, January 23, 2010

Pregnancy Adventure: Class, Glucola and Shopping

Well, that "Baby Your Body" class was a waste of time...for me at least. I was one of two women that was pretty far along in the class. Most of the other women were just starting their 2nd trimester and, quite frankly, had not experienced any body aches or pains yet. All the stretching movements and exercises the instructor showed us were all movements I'd seen in a ton of my Pregnancy books so it really wasn't anything I didn't know already. I feel bad but I think I'm just going to skip part 2 of this class this week---I happen to know it will be spent mostly on Kegel exercises which I've already read plenty about.

In some good news, our little girl is free of gestational diabetes! Sometime at the end of the 2nd trimester, pregnant women go through a glucose test that involves drinking this super sweet liquid called glucola---my OB's office offered it in both fruit punch and orange flavors (I choose fruit punch). The first test is the 1-hour test in which you fast and then drink the glucola 1 hour before your appointment, then get your blood drawn. The results of the blood test show how much sugar is left in your system. If you don't pass, then you move onto a 3-hour version of the test. I fortunately passed (score of 126 -- don't want to go above 139), woo hoo! I was expecting the worst as I had heard from many women how nauseous this drink made them, how it was nasty, how the 3-hour test was almost as bad as labor, etc... you get the picture. But honestly? The glucola wasn't bad -- I mean, it was sweet but it wasn't bad at all...and I certainly didn't get nauseous. Count me lucky I guess.....or for having a major sweet tooth.

In some productive news, Matt and I got some major shopping done recently! After work this week, we stopped by Merry-Go-Round in Bellevue, which I had been recommended to check out by a number of coworkers....I can now see why: they take the Microsoft Prime Card, giving 15% off everything! (except strollers + car seats, which are 10% off) Well, once we heard that, we were on a mission! Fortunately, it wasn't like a last minute decision as we had been looking at cribs for awhile as well as strollers and had a good sense of what we wanted. So here I present our new crib + dresser set:


That's not the actual dresser we got but I couldn't find a picture of it -- you can get the style though. We just got a basic 6 drawer dresser that will also double as a changing table.

And then the stroller that we got:
The stroller is the 2009 model and was on sale---after learning some minor differences compard to the 2010 model, it was a no-brainer for us to just buy this. One other thing we love is that there is a Graco Infant Car Seat Adapter attachment so that we can snap the car seat we registered for into this frame if we want (apparently, this is a great thing so that you don't have to take the baby out of the car seat if they're sound asleep). Also, the fact that there is a bassinet attachment is a great alternative so that we don't necessarily have to take the car seat in and out of the car if we don't have to. I've even heard of parents who just use the bassinet while at home.

Anyway, the crib won't arrive til the end of February but that's still plenty of time to prep the nursery. Now it's just a matter of slowly getting rid of all of the moving boxes in our house....

No comments:

Post a Comment