Friday, October 14, 2005

A time for giving

One thing about working at Microsoft versus Amazon is its emphasis on giving and charity donations. This entire month, Microsoft has set up lots of random events to encourage employees to give money to non-profit organizations. The other day, a software developer ate 14 tacos down the hall from me to raise money for the United Way. Next Monday, my officemate is going to shave his head and wax his legs for the same cause. On Tuesday, many of us are taking the afternoon off to bowl for charity at a bowling alley in Bellevue. And on Wednesday, our organization is doing a Fear Factor event. They've made it super easy to give money online---just go this website, pick some organizations, pick the option of deducting money from a paycheck, and voila, you're done. And of course, it feels even better knowing that MS is matching any donation 100%. Sweet. Already, I've given money to Chaya, Seattle Works, KEXP, KUOW, the United Way, and the American Red Cross. Normally, I'm not this charitable--moreso out of pure laziness. So I just want to say it's great that I work for a company that has most definitely encouraged me to give more than I normally would have.

I started up tutoring again yesterday and am also excited to know that Microsoft is paying Seattle Youth Tutoring $17 for each hour of volunteering that I do. Now that rocks.

Anyway, it's Friday and I'm eager to leave. Joining Matt in a couple hours to watch the Sonics first home pre-season game against the Suns. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment