Thursday, December 11, 2008

It's been a tough week

I got home about an hour ago...yes, nearly at midnight..from work. Last night, I came home around 12:30am from work...been working all week on a VP presentation that's just been sucking so much time...and the presentation is at 9am tomorrow so I have to head back in about 7 hours now. Aside from work, it's been a pretty rough week....

Over the weekend, my gung-gung (maternal grandfather) passed away. He and my po-po (maternal grandmother) lived with us in Kansas for many years during middle school and, of course, I often visited and stayed with him when visiting Hong Kong through the years growing up. He's had cancer for 8 years or so and it probably was only a matter of time...although I guess I wasn't expecting it to be this month necessarily. In fact, Matt and I had planned to hang out in L.A. for one day on our way to Hong Kong this Christmas just to visit him. [sigh] I was fortunately with a good friend (thanks Jessica!) when I found out so I instantly got a loving hug. I'm still a bit in shock that he's gone. My mom sounds like she's holding up really well considering the amount of planning she's had to deal with in the last few days. We're headed to L.A. this weekend for all the funeral activities and....it's going to be tough. I definitely will shed some tears and it'll be hard. He was a quiet, good man who did nothing but love his family and be there where he was needed. I'll miss his smile and the silly Chinese karaoke singing he'd do with po-po. I learned today from my mother that because I'm the oldest grandchild, I'll need to give a speech at the funeral service. [gulp] I hate giving speeches to begin with...much less at an event where I know I'll be emotional. I know it's important to do so and I'll be proud to do so, but I'm nervous! Despite my trepidation, I'm very much looking forward to this weekend and re-connecting with all of the family. This will be the first time I'll be in the same room with ALL of the cousins since....well, I can't remember when since we all live so far apart...but we will all be together again and it'll be nice to see everyone. We'll also get the chance to see some old friends since Matt and I will be staying with Justin and Betina.

Anyway, time to go to bed.....

No comments:

Post a Comment