Wednesday, November 9, 2005

The votes are in

Election Day was yesterday---I came home and had 15 minutes to run to the nearest poll. I grabbed my keys and ran down the street with less than 5 minutes left before the polls closed. Got inside--
"Did I make it in time?!"
"You sure did! We were just about to close up!"
"Great--I don't know what my voter id number is though.."
"No problem, do you have ID on you? That's the new rule this year."
"Oh crap. My ID. I just grabbed my keys and ran down here"

I knew I didn't have enough time to run home and come back. I fumbled around my pockets hoping that I had my Microsoft badge somewhere on me..but I didn't. Just my keys...but then...
"Wait--I have this gym membership card! It has my name on it..."
"Oh, I live next to that gym! Hm..."
"Will it work?"
"It's a stretch..but you look desperate to vote...all right.."

Yay!

In the end, we voted to
  • Keep the gas tax to rebuild a bunch of transportation problems (yay)
  • Ban smoking in public places & workplaces and within 25 feet of doors, windows & vents (yay, although I'm still annoyed about the 25 feet bit)
  • Ban the Monorail (although tax payers still have to pay the monorail vehicle tax for the next 2 years to pay off the debt it had accumulated) (boo)
  • Keep Mayor Nickels around longer (sure)
  • Say no to both medical malpractice initiatives (sure)
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment