Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Yahoo and OMD Unveil Findings of Internet Deprivation Study



Despite the fact that they may need to call friends to make arrangements or read the daily newspaper to find out news, participants expressed that they looked unproductive and lazy to their colleagues when engaged in these activities using traditional means. The Internet helped them conceal these activities and helped them do it much faster.

I guess it would make a difference seeing my officemates surfing Google News versus kickin' back and reading the Seattle Times. In theory, they're the same activity.



I would like to think that my life doesn't evolve around the Internet too much aside from basic communication with friends using Email and Messenger. I've only had DSL hooked up at home for about a year now barely---before that, I only relied on dialing up with my work modem if I wanted to access the Internet at home. I figured I was online enough at work that it was silly to spend $50/month to be hooked up at home. The little ways that this has now changed my habits at home in this last year:

  • I pay my bills online now instead of writing checks and mailing them

  • I don't buy as many stamps as I used to

  • I'm starting to download music again (I basically stopped once I left college)

  • I don't necessarily plan my evenings from work as much because I can look up restaurants or movie times or print out directions to a party from home now without it being a hassle. Before, I'd print all this out at work and end up staying at work a bit longer just to take care of personal errands.

  • Now that I can be on Messenger at home in the evenings, it's a lot easier to just ping someone for a last minute movie or something.

  • I'm updating my website at home instead of at work. I used to burn photos I wanted to upload onto a CD and bring it into work since the connection was fast.

  • I don't go through as many blank CDR's as I used to

  • I'm getting friends to email me on my personal email more than my work email.



    Interesting.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment