Saturday, March 6, 2004

I turned on my TV today and had a little envelope icon appear at the top. As usual, I pushed the Menu button to retrieve whatever new message Comcast had to send to me---to my surprise, I got a different menu---I simply had 3 choices: TV Guide, Menu, or On Demand. I read about this new service last year in Newsweek and had gotten a notice from Comcast last week about the rollout of this new feature, which has rolled out to about 50% of Comcast's customer database so far across the country. I must say--it's pretty darn cool. Basically, users have a large database of shows, movies, music videos, tv extras to watch from---at any time they want...in addition to having fast-forward/rewind/pause capabilities. Depending on the program, you have access to it either for the next 24 hours or the next month! Some programs are completely free, some will cost a $3.99 charge, similar to going to Blockbuster down the street. There was a database of movies, HBO Movies, Showtime Series, Cinemax late night features, etc etc. I found the entire last season of Sex & the City, The Sopranos and every other single HBO Series show (only current season shows)----that is really cool. A lot of the movies on HBO, Starz, etc are totally free. Right now, the current database of movies is limited (I read that as of the end of January, it was only about 150 titles)....it'll be really interesting to see how a service like this will take off and affect other businesses---things like brick-and-mortar stores like Blockbuster or even my all-time favorite, Netflix.com. While Netflix is oh so cool with the "check it out for as long as you like", there is still a slight wait factor. The advantage Netflix has right now is its huge database of movies you can check out. But for people like me, watching movies is such an instant gratification sort of thing. At any given point, you feel like watching a particular type of movie right then. I currently have 3 movies checked out by Netflix...but just haven't been in the mood to watch them yet. I think that there is also a possible threat to gadgets like TIVO or ReplayTV---why decide what to record onto your hard drive when you can have access to a large database of shows and movies? Movies aside, the On Demand feature is a really good resource for other regular cable programs that one may've missed--there's CNN, E Channel, Style, Tech TV, etc. I'd like to see access to major shows--whether they be some TV movie like Kingdom Hospital or an awards show like the Oscars for the public to have access to. This service could really take off but there's a lot to do right now to change viewers' movie-renting & TIVO'ing habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment