Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Jetlagged all night

Matt and I got back from Hong Kong this morning after a 4 hour flight to Korea and another 9.5 hour flight back to Seattle. As much as we wanted to adapt back to Pacific time, we unfortunately were pretty wide awake for the entire flight...so by 1pm, the bed was looking too comfortable and we found ourselves taking a 5 hour nap for the afternoon. We woke up, ate some pizza and attempted to sleep again at 11pm. I woke up at 2am and haven't been able to fall back asleep since. Argh. It's now 5:16am and I might as well leave in an hour to hit the gym and go to work early, praying that I can last until at least 4pm.

I've got TONS to write about for the trip--it was totally fantastic. Coincidentally, shortly after my last post, there was an earthquake that hit Taiwan which damaged a bunch of oceanfloor telecommunications cables that connect Hong Kong and a lot of South Asia to the rest of the world. As a result, phone lines and Internet were unable to reach out to US and Europe-based destinations for over a week--pretty much the rest of the time I was there. That meant, no Internet at all in Hong Kong to any site that didn't end in a ".hk". Craziness! I didn't think it was possible to cut off telecommunications in such a major city. More so, what's Hong Kong doing still using cables on the oceanfloor? What about satellites? That whole event prompted a ot of news stories about the need to move to satellite since the ocean floor cables were so primitive. So there went my trip blogging...but I'll follow up with a huge long post about all the things we did soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment